Nerf enthusiasts everywhere look to grow their collection with new Nerf blasters.
For those who are just starting to get into Nerf or for those who are looking to grow their secondary weapon stash, pistols are often at the top of the list as they are easy to operate and very reliable.
In our last review, we took a look at the Nerf N-Strike Elite Strongarm, but since we mentioned this handgun, we only felt it was right to mention one of its closest competitors, the Nerf Disruptor.
Figuring out the key differences between the many different handguns that Nerf offers can be difficult to do on your own, which is the reason why we created this guide.
If you are thinking of taking the Nerf N-Strike Elite Disruptor home but want to know how it stacks up against similar options, continue reading the review below to learn everything you need to know about this popular blaster!
Style and Design
The Nerf N-Strike Elite Disruptor blaster is very loyal to the Elite line in terms of style and design.
With a bright blue body that incorporates slick lines of snow-white and splashes of orange across the front of the blaster, the Disruptor brings the full-on Nerf blasting experience to you and it does so in an extremely attractive manner.
What you’ll notice immediately about this blaster upon closer inspection is its body, which has excluded a large portion of the plastic that originally goes under the rotating barrel.
While it is a major deviation from most Nerf blasters, which often feature a large frame designed to hold and outline the rotating barrel feature, this minor detail makes a massive difference in design, resulting in a sleeker look that we love.
Although it does follow the traditional blueprint that you see in most Nerf handguns, the small variations in design that the Disruptor offers makes for a fresh new take on pistol-sized blasters that will help you stand out from your competition.
As with other offers in this line, you get a 6-dart rotating barrel, which gives you plenty of ammo to blast through the competition and to do so in an effective way.
Although this may not be enough for this blaster to act as a primary weapon, this is certainly the right amount if you plan on carrying the Disruptor into battle as your secondary Nerf gun.
Firing Style and Range
The reason why we like these handguns is that they are easy to prime. Featuring a sliding mechanism towards that back of the blaster, all you have to do is pull back until you hear a clicking sound and you are ready to fire.
More importantly, the Disruptor comes with slam fire capabilities, meaning that you can quickly prime and fire your weapon in the event that you find yourself up against someone who will be rapidly firing at you.
Since the Disruptor is part of the Nerf N-Strike Elite series, you can expect this Nerf gun to reach distances of up to 90 feet, making it an excellent weapon to bring into any environment.
What We Like
- Easy to Load - Although you’ve heard us say this a million times, we are going to say it again; we are not fans of weapons that have a body that blocks the dart slots.
The Nerf N-Strike Elite Disruptor’s lack of a bottom actually serves a purpose, giving you full access to the bottom of the rotating barrel for easy reloading. Although we are not certain if this was strictly for design or for improved access, we love this small feature!
- Easy to Prime and Fire - The sliding priming mechanism is easy to use for all ages, making it the perfect secondary weapon or primary weapon for younger Nerf players. All you have to do is slide back until the device clicks and fire at will!
- Comes With Slam Fire Blasting Capabilities - There are some weapons that have to be carefully primed and fired. While this isn’t a major problem if you are going to be able to easily evade enemy fire, this feature can be a pain if you have multiple enemies coming your way and don’t have time to gradually prime and fire your blaster.
Slam fire capabilities make it possible for you to quickly fire your weapon in the event of an emergency, which is vital to your survival during a Nerf war.
- Long Distance Weapon Despite Size - When we see the 90-foot distance on Nerf N-Strike Elite Weapons, we aren’t usually surprised. After all, many of the weapons in this series are motorized, making them the perfect fit.
When it comes to the Nerf N-Strike Disruptor, however, we just can’t believe that you can get the same distance with a much smaller product. Overall, this just serves to make it an excellent choice for users who need a blaster that can perform.
- Makes an Effort to Look Different From Similar Weapons - What we like about this product is that Nerf didn’t just slap a different name on this weapon and keep the same features that you would get on other Nerf blasters.
The Disruptor does have some changes featured in the missing section below the rotating barrel as well as the color scheme of the blaster itself. Although it isn’t a completely different blaster from options like the Strongarm, it does give its best effort.
- A Light Option With Improved Weapon Functionality - Small guns are great, but many don’t expect them to perform as well as their larger relatives, especially in terms of power and distance.
The Nerf N-Strike Elite Disruptor takes those expectations and completely throws them away, giving you all of the power of a large blaster in a very light, easy to carry weapon that you will thank yourself for later.
What We Don’t Like
- Doesn’t Allow You to Pop Out the Barrel - There are people on both sides of this debate, so this disadvantage may actually be an advantage for you. However, it should be noted that this blaster doesn’t allow you to pop out the barrel like you can on similar weapons.
We think that this is a disadvantage due to the fact that it can often be hard to completely turn your blaster around and load each dart into its respective slot while rotating the barrel by hand.
When the barrel is able to pop out, you have full access and can quickly load your weapon. Again, maybe we’re sticklers for ease-of-use, so you will have to determine which method is best for your needs.
- Isn’t Much Different From Similar Products - While we did just say that the Nerf N-Strike Elite Disruptor does do its best to make itself different from similar products, we still just don’t see the need for it.
It is a great blaster, but there are other options on the market that are pretty much the same concept. We’re not saying that this is cause to avoid purchasing the weapon, but it is something that we feel we should state if you are torn between the Disruptor and related blasters. They are all pretty much the same!
The Nerf N-Strike Elite Disruptor is one of those blasters that can do no wrong. Although it does lack a feature here and there that we would’ve liked to see on the product, the weapon functions exactly as expected, shooting enemies at far distances and as fast as you can load, prime, and pull the trigger on your blaster.
If you’re looking for a high-performance blaster that will serve you now and well into the future, the Nerf N-Strike Elite Disruptor blaster is one that you should definitely consider bringing into your Nerf arsenal.