Nerf guns have always been a favorite toy for children and adults alike. The brightly colored foam bullets that shoot out of these plastic toys provide hours of fun and physical activity. Throughout this article I will explain the accuracy of Nerf blasters and Nerf darts.
Why are Nerf darts so inaccurate?
Similar to regular bullets, Nerf dart accuracy is effected by environmental and blaster conditions. Temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and wind all can effect the accuracy of a fired Nerf dart. Nerf blasters are toys and are not designed to be accurate.
Outside temperatures have a significant influence on how a Nerf blaster performs.
- 1The first is the trajectory of the Nerf dart at varying distances.
- 2Second, the barrel of the blaster's temperature will be affected.
- 3Third, warm temperatures and humidity will have an impact on the shooter's performance.
- 4Fourth, even with a slight breeze, the accuracy of a Nerf blaster is diminished.
Most Nerf blasters have an exaggerated distance rating on the packaging that assumes all conditions are perfect. Which, we know when we are in a Nerf war the conditions are far from it.
Keep in mind, the average weight of a Nerf dart is 1-2oz so it is an extremely light projectile. It is also important to point out that Nerf darts are rather cheaply made.
Though they are designed to look like a "bullet" in their aerodynamic shape, the foam is molded to the design. Even with a millimeter difference, this will also impact the accuracy of the Nerf gun.
Are Nerf Guns Accurate?
Most Nerf guns are accurate for shorter distances. This is due to the weather conditions, the weight of the Nerf dart, and the design of the blaster itself.
You should expect to have an average of 2-4 inches accuracy deviation after 30 feet for most Nerf blasters. For some of the smaller blasters like the Nerf N-Strike Elite Jolt Blaster, the dart will decrease accuracy from 1-2 inches to less than 25 feet.
Some Nerf guns are simply not designed to shoot far and their looks are what sell the blaster.
With blasters such as the Mega line and the Ultra line which are inherently more powerful, you will see an accuracy adjustment closer to 40-50 feet, depending on the blaster.
More powerful blasters and battery-powered blasters tend to be more accurate versus traditional Nerf blasters. However, the non-battery-powered Nerf Accustrike series is designed to be extremely accurate.
What is the most accurate nerf gun in the world?
For shorter distances, the most accurate Nerf gun on the market is the Nerf N-Strike Elite AccuStrike FalconFire. For distances over 30 feet, the most accurate Nerf gun is the Nerf Accustrike Raptorstrike
You can read my full Raptorstrike review here.
- Part of the AccuStrike Series
- Features 18 darts from the AccuStrike Series
- Extendable bipod and pop-up sight
- Includes blaster, 18 darts. Bolt (2 pieces), bipod, 2 clips, and instructions
You can read my full Falconfire review here.
- Part of the AccuStrike series
- Top-load, single-shot blaster
- Built-in Dart storage
- Includes blaster, bolt (2 pieces), 10 darts, and instructions
- Hasbro (Author)
These Nerf blasters come with special Accustrike Nerf darts which are specifically made for long-distance.
The Accustrike Nerf darts are the most accurate Nerf darts on the market due to their uniquely designed tips that are aerodynamically designed to hit the mark.
Nerf must have slowed down the process of creating darts to develop these are they are better quality than the original darts. Though these darts are more expensive than the original foam darts, they are designed for increased accuracy.
- N-Strike Elite blasters and Elite darts deliver the ultimate in blaster performance
- Mega series blasters feature Mega Whistler darts that scream through the air
- Defend against a zombie invasion with ZombieStrike blasters
- Ignite the night with FireVision sports gear that glows when thrown
- Raise your game with the Pro-Grip football and Nerfoop basketball set
Do Nerf barrels increase range?
The barrels in Nerf guns do not increase the range of the gun, but they can improve accuracy. This is because there are different types of darts that fit in each barrel.
When you fire a Nerf dart it does not leave the blaster smoothly and consistently. Some Nerf blasters have barrels with small spaces to improve accuracy whereas some blasters have tight-fitting barrels for increased velocity. These are used interchangeably depending on the blaster and blaster's design.
Conclusion -Accuracy of Nerf Blasters & Darts
As you can see there are a ton of factors that influence the accuracy of a Nerf gun specifically the dart.