By: Jeremy Alden
Nerf has a knack for switching up its weapon designs, and the priming mechanisms found throughout your favorite Nerf products are no exception.
From the easy-to-pull knobs that power many of the mini blasters to the bolt action that you can find on some of their more unique rifles, there are many different ways you can prepare your weapon to unleash havoc upon your enemies.
That said, there are some priming mechanisms that you may be unaware of.
Take, for example, lever-action firing, which can only be found on a few choice weapons throughout the entire Nerf universe.
If you’re looking for this type of weapon, let’s take a closer look at what lever-action priming provides you with as well as the best lever-action Nerf guns on the market!
Here are the Best Lever Action Nerf Guns:
- Nerf Zombie Strike SlingFire Blaster (Best Value for the Money)
- Nerf Zombie Strike Scravenger Blaster (Top Pick)
- Nerf Vortex Diatron Blaster (Top Disc Blaster)
- Nerf N-Strike Elite Rough Cut 2×4 Blaster (Easiest to Use)
- Nerf Modulus Mediator Blaster (Best Compact Blaster)
My Top 3 Lever-Action Nerf Blaster Picks:
- Upgrade Mediator blaster with Mediator Barrel
- Converts to a blaster
- Pressurized 3-dart blast
- Includes barrel, 3 foam darts, and instructions
- Ages 8 and up
- Be prepared to fight zombies with this defense kit that includes the scravenger toy blaster, attacha
- This zombie strike nerf blaster shoot darts with lever-action blasting and switches into slam-fire m
- The scravenger zombie strike blaster includes a 2-dart stealth blaster that stores in the scavenger
- The scravenger nerf blaster kit comes with a working tactical light, barrel extension, targeting sco
- Comes with two 12-dart clips and 26 official nerf zombie strike elite darts, enough darts to fully l
- Zombie strike Slingfire blaster has lever-action blasting
- Blaster loads 2 ways: swing lever or flick to load with 1 hand
- Includes 6-dart clip and 6 zombie strike darts
- Tactical rail lets you add accessories - sold separately
- Includes Slingfire blaster, 6 zombie strike darts, 6-dart clip and instructions
What Is Lever Action Priming?
Lever-action priming is similar to pump-priming, requiring you to pull down on a lever and then push up to successfully prime your weapon.
If you have used a BB rifle in the past, you may have already seen this type of mechanism as it is commonly used to pump air into the gun. Fortunately, the Nerf gun doesn’t require you to pump repeatedly in order to use it.
For those who have just heard of this type of priming, you may be wondering whether or not this priming method has any advantages over some of the others.
In some instances, lever-action Nerf guns give users the ability to prime their weapons with just one hand if they are able to successfully balance their weapons.
If you have two great lever-action weapons, this gives you a major advantage on the battlefield that will be hard for your opponents to compete with!
Besides making your weapon more functional, the act of using the lever in battle can look cooler and may intimidate your foes.
But where can you find these weapons in the Nerf series? Let’s take a look at a few blasters that you should consider!
1. Nerf Zombie Strike SlingFire Blaster
Arguably the most well-known lever blaster in the Nerf universe, the Nerf Zombie Strike SlingFire blaster is a great example of lever-action done right.
Coming from the Zombie Strike series, we would say that it is one of the more unique due to its coloring and build.
- Zombie Strike SlingFire Blaster has lever-action blasting
- Blaster loads 2 ways: Swing lever or flick to load with 1 hand
- Includes 6-dart clip and 6 Zombie Strike darts
- Tactical Rail lets you add accessories - sold separately
- Includes SlingFire blaster, 6 Zombie Strike darts, 6-dart clip and instructions
Although we do see the traditional orange at the tip of the gun as well as the Zombie Strike logo painted clearly on the side of the blaster, the body has a dull lime green coloring with a long handle that gives it a bit of a country feel.
This along with the bandage decorations and other design aspects helps it to achieve the apocalyptic style that Nerf is going for. Beyond the build and the lever-action priming system, the SlingFire is a great weapon to bring into battle.
Boasting a six-dart clip system that allows you to easily reload once you have run out of ammo, a long handle that serves as a shoulder stock to help you achieve better accuracy, and a lightweight body so that you can easily use your weapon with one hand, this is a great primary weapon to have as you blast away the zombie hordes.
Once your gun is all prepped and ready to go, you can expect it to launch bullets at enemies up to 65 feet away!
You May Like: Full List of Walking Dead Nerf Guns with Reviews
Speaking to the downsides of this weapon, many people complain about having issues with the lever-action system as well as with constantly jamming bullets.
While this does seem to be a common issue, it is also one that may be easily addressed by making small changes in the way you fire the gun.
Almost every Nerf gun has the potential to misfire or jam if you do not take care of the priming mechanism. Pumping too fast or not pumping fully may cause the gun to jam or break, especially if you are trying to force the pieces into place.
As long as you make sure to prime your gun carefully each time, you should not come across too many issues along the way! (View it on Amazon here)
2. Nerf Zombie Strike Scravenger Blaster
Another product from the Nerf Zombie Strike series armed with a lever-action priming mechanism, the Nerf Zombie Strike Scravenger blaster was made for people who need a reliable weapon that can accomplish everything on the battleground.
- Be prepared to fight zombies with this defense kit that includes the Scravenger toy blaster, attachable accessories, back-up blaster, clips, and darts
- This Zombie Strike Nerf blaster shoot darts with lever-action blasting and switches into slam-fire mode so you can fast-fire an entire clip of darts
- The scravenger zombie Strike blaster includes a 2-dart stealth blaster that stores in the scavenger blaster’s stock to keep it nearby for surprise back-up firepower
- The Scravenger Nerf blaster kit comes with a working tactical light, barrel extension, targeting scope, and stock that you can attach to the blaster for different setups
- Comes with two 12-dart clips and 26 Official Nerf Zombie Strike Elite darts, enough darts to fully load both clips and the back-up blaster
Much like the previous product mentioned above, the Nerf Zombie Strike Scravenger blaster stands out from other blasters in the series through its unique build.
The Scravenger has a more mechanical build that we would expect to see in other series and a vibrant orange body that almost borders on tomato red.
You can still see certain elements of the series around the body, however, such as bandage design touches and the large logos. If you’re trying to attract attention on the battlefield, this gun is sure to do it.
Its design isn’t the only place where it stands out, however. The Scravenger is built to be as efficient as possible and it shows when it is being used.
Regarding the blaster itself, the Scravenger has a long, hefty body that is capable of holding 12-dart clips and the option of activating slam-fire action at the user’s will.
At first glance, this doesn’t seem too impressive, but the true potential comes with the many attachments that you receive when you purchase the Scravenger.
To provide a more accurate aim during use, Nerf has given us a shoulder stock with a small surprise on the back, a mini blaster! This mini blaster comes with a pull-down priming mechanism and room enough to hold and fire two bullets at a time.
The best part is that it blends into the stock so that you can tuck it away for safekeeping. If you find yourself in a bind, just pull it out and fire it at your shocked enemy!
Along with the shoulder stock and mini blaster, you also receive a tactical light so that you can see your enemies better in low-light environments, a scope to improve your aim, and a barrel extension that carries a clip holder so that you can safely store your other clip on the side of the Scravenger for easy access.
Overall, this is an excellent weapon for Nerf players who need plenty of ammo and attachments to get the most out of each battle.
Although it may look deceivingly small, it should be noted that this is a rather large blaster and it is not recommended for younger audiences due to its massive size. Otherwise, the Nerf Zombie Strike Scravenger is a force to be reckoned with! (View it on Amazon here)
3. Nerf Vortex Diatron Blaster
Our third and final product on this list, the Nerf Vortex is a very different blaster from the two options listed above and may not be for everyone.
Rather, this blaster is a fun offering for younger kids or those who may be having light indoor battles.
- Diatron blaster fires 2 discs at once
- Load your blaster with the 8 included discs
- Snap open the drop-down clip for quick reload
- Magazine holds 10 discs
- Blaster's revolutionary XLR Disc Tech hurls the Vortex discs an ultra-long distance
The Nerf Vortex Diatron blaster is a small disc blaster with a unique design that makes it very appealing to younger audiences.
The glowing white body features sleek black and deep orange components and tribal designs on the side of the gun that would look good on any Nerf product.
At first glance, the weapon also looks like a double blaster, which is partially due to the clip system at the bottom that looks the same as the blaster portion on top. If you are looking to purchase a product for a young Nerf enthusiast, the Vortex Diatron blaster will captivate them even before they rip open the packaging.
This product is the only one in the Nerf Vortex disc series to feature lever-action priming, making it a very unique product to own. Once the clip system has been inserted into the bottom of the device, you can then use the lever on the side of the Diatron to prep the blaster, which will then fire two discs each time you shoot.
Because this is a disc launcher, you are not going to get the same distance or power that you would with a Nerf dart. That said, you still have the ease of loading with the 10-disc magazine and the improved coverage that comes with firing two discs at a time. (View it on Amazon here)
4. Nerf N-Strike Elite Rough Cut 2×4 Blaster
The Nerf N-Strike Elite Rough Cut 2×4 Blaster is a standout in the N-Strike Elite series, renowned for its exceptional performance and precision. This blaster boasts a unique double-barrel design, empowering users to unleash two darts simultaneously, making it a formidable contender in close-range battles.
- Pump action to fire a steady stream of darts
- Tactical Rail is compatible with most N-Strike accessories; Each sold separately
- Fires darts up to 75'
- Darts work with any Elite blaster and most original N-Strike blasters; sold separately
- Blaster comes with 8 Elite Darts and instructions
Double-Barrel Design: With the Rough Cut 2×4 blaster, you can load up to four darts in each barrel, enabling you to fire a total of eight darts with a single prime and trigger pull. Prepare for unparalleled firepower!
Slam-Fire Action: Experience the thrill of slam-fire action! Simply hold down the trigger and unleash a rapid barrage of darts, overwhelming your opponents with an intense onslaught.
Pump-Action Priming: Prime the blaster with ease using the pump-action mechanism, ensuring a satisfying and seamless priming experience. Ready, aim, fire!
Dart Storage: Never be caught empty-handed. The Rough Cut 2×4 blaster features integrated dart storage, allowing you to carry spare darts for swift and efficient reloads.
Unleash your inner blaster enthusiast with the Nerf N-Strike Elite Rough Cut 2×4 Blaster, where power, precision, and excitement converge!
5. Nerf Modulus Mediator Blaster
The Nerf Modulus Mediator Blaster is a notable addition to the Modulus series, renowned for its emphasis on customization and adaptability. This blaster stands out due to its compact size and compatibility with other Modulus accessories, enabling users to construct their ultimate blaster configuration.
- Compact Design: The Modulus Mediator blaster is thoughtfully designed for portability and effortless handling during intense battles.
- Tactical Rail: It boasts a tactical rail on the top, providing users with the flexibility to attach various Modulus accessories, such as scopes or barrel extensions.
- Dart Storage: The blaster incorporates dart storage, ensuring that extra ammunition is readily available during gameplay.
- Slam-Fire Action: With the Modulus Mediator blaster, unleash rapid dart firing by simply holding down the trigger, thanks to its slam-fire action.
Experience the power and versatility of the Nerf Modulus Mediator Blaster, where customization meets performance in every battle.
6. Nerf Doomlands 2169 Lawbringer Blaster
The Nerf Doomlands 2169 Lawbringer Blaster belongs to the renowned Doomlands series, known for its post-apocalyptic and futuristic design. Standing out with its distinctive drum-style magazine and impressive dart capacity, the Lawbringer blaster is an excellent choice for extended battles.
- N-Strike Elite blasters and Elite darts deliver the ultimate in blaster performance
- Mega Series blasters feature Mega Whistler Darts that scream through the air
- Defend against a zombie invasion with Zombie Strike blasters
- Ignite the night with Fire Vision sports gear that glows when thrown
- Raise your game with the Pro-Grip Football and Nerfoop basketball set
- 12-Dart Drum Magazine: The Lawbringer blaster is equipped with a 12-dart drum magazine, enabling continuous firing without frequent reloads.
- Lever-Action Firing: It boasts a smooth and satisfying priming mechanism, adding a touch of realism and excitement to the gameplay experience.
- Slam-Fire Mode: With the blaster's slam-fire capability, you can unleash rapid-fire action by simply holding down the trigger.
- Dart Storage: The Lawbringer blaster features convenient dart storage, ensuring quick reloads during intense battles.
Experience the power and versatility of the Nerf Doomlands 2169 Lawbringer Blaster, designed to enhance your Nerf battles with style and efficiency.
Best Lever Action Nerf Guns: Conclusion
As we stated previously, this option is not going to be for everyone. But when it comes to lever-action Nerf blasters, this is one of the only disc blasters that you are going to find with this feature.
Lever-action priming is a rare feature in Nerf products, and it can be hard to find them when you begin shopping around. If you are in the market for a lever Nerf blaster, take a look at the list above to learn more about which options you have to choose from!
About the Author
Jeremy is the founder of Dart Dudes, the leading resource for parents looking to pick up a Nerf toy for a child. He grew up with his four brothers and two sisters where there was always a Nerf war taking place.
With a focus on safety, Jeremy has helped thousands of parents help chose the right Nerf toy for their kids or grandkids. He lives in California with his wife and family. Learn more about me. - You can email me email@example.com